Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pop

As most everyone is aware by now my Father-in-law was diagnosed with Colon Cancer on February 12th. It is advanced and very serious. He has already undergone a surgery and now will begin chemotherapy to stop the spreading of it. The weekend of Valentine's Day was when he was admitted to the emergency room and it was discovered. We were supposed to head to the Coast for a mardi gras parade but of course we did not go.

The last 2 weeks have been a blur and a roller-coaster of emotions. I can't imagine the fear and sadness that my husband is feeling at this time. Part of the reason I have been mia from the blog is because I didn't want to have to write this entry. I didn't want to have to even acknowledge it and I don't have the words to express what this family is going through. The outpouring of support from our church family and the community has been astounding. If there was ever any doubt in his mind whether he has friends there should be no more. It is apparent that he has touched so many lives with his kind spirit and selfless measures.

"Pop" took the news with a brave face and a strong will to fight it. I think he received the news better than any in the family. He was released from the hospital today and will begin to regain his strength. (The man has not had a meal since February 12th and that was oatmeal!)

My one wish is that he holds on for as long as the Good Lord is willing so that he can have many more memories with Carsyn and she will have a chance to remember this caring and wonderful man.

2 comments:

Angela said...

So sorry to hear about Danny's dad. I will be praying for the whole family during this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

I actually teared up reading this Amanda. I totally understand how you feel, my father-in-law was a sweet, kind man. I was so close to him, and I still miss him. Make as many memories for Carsyn as you can. Lean on friends and family and remember....it's all in God's hands. Praying for all you.